You are here
Home > Sports > KU Sports > Remy Martin Fuels KU to The Final Four

Remy Martin Fuels KU to The Final Four

Martin’s impact leads Kansas through March 

Caroline Soro | @caroline_soro 

No. 1 Kansas men’s basketball dances to its first Final Four since 2018 after defeating No. 10 Miami 76-50 on March 27. Super-senior guard Remy Martin has been a driving force behind Kansas’ postseason run this year. 

Martin’s energy is so contagious that Kansas adopted the term “remergy” to describe the instant spark he provides when he steps on the court. After not getting to watch the guard play much during the regular season, coach Bill Self said Martin’s postseason performance has been a pleasant surprise. 

“I think Remy in his court always knew what he was capable to do to help us, but we haven’t really seen it yet because his health hasn’t really allowed it,” Self said. “And I think that our guys have more of a swagger now knowing what Remy can do to make us better.” 

Martin has been a difference-maker for Kansas this postseason, averaging 13.3 points since the beginning of the Big 12 Conference tournament. He put up a Kansas career-high 23 points against Providence in the Sweet 16 and hit several key shots in Kansas’ Elite Eight victory over Miami. 

Despite the noise Martin is making this March, he says his teammates and coaches are responsible for his success. 

“My teammates man,” Martin said when asked about what drives his success. “It’s really my teammates and coaches man. Just sticking with me through ups and downs and, you know, instilling more confidence in me.” 

That confidence led Martin to receive the Midwest Region’s Most Outstanding Player Award for his play in the NCAA Tournament so far. He also earned a selection to the NCAA All-Tournament team alongside senior forward David McCormack and junior guard Christian Braun. 

“I didn’t really know that I won,” Martin said of the honor. “When they said my name, I didn’t know that’s what it was for, but I have the greatest teammates around me, greatest coaches, and I mean, what more can I ask for?” 

Martin will need to bring that “remergy” in Kansas’ Final Four matchup against No. 2 Villanova on Saturday. Tip-off is set from 5:09 p.m. from Caesar’s Superdome, and the  winner advances to face either No. 2 Duke or No. 8 North Carolina in the National Championship on April 4.

Top