You are here
Home > Blog > Dia De Los Muertos at KU Honors Those Affected by Mexico Earthquakes

Dia De Los Muertos at KU Honors Those Affected by Mexico Earthquakes

The Mexican holiday dedicated to the dead wrapped up this week, and this year KU found a way to honor those affected by the earthquakes in September.

It’s a three-day celebration honoring the dead.

“We celebrate the day of the dead by making an offer to the people that passed away in the past year,” says Laura Jimenez.

With music, food, art and an altar.

“I’m from Mexico and that’s why this year we decided to dedicate the altar to all the people that died after the earthquakes in Mexico City, Puebla, Oxaca and other states affected,” says Jimenez.

This year, Dia de los Muertos recognizes over 300 killed in back-to-back earthquakes in September, something a little too close to home for Laura Jimenez.

“My family is originally from Puebla, so I was trying to contact them the day after it happened. It’s always something that makes me nervous because I want to be sure that my family is ok,” she says.

Laura hopes this holiday can bring awareness to those lost in the last year.

The University also honored those affected by the multiple hurricanes hitting the Gulf Coast and the California wildfires.

Top