You are here
Home > Blog > Kansas Drops 100 on UC Davis in NCAA Tournament Opener

Kansas Drops 100 on UC Davis in NCAA Tournament Opener

Following a first half that was at one point tied at 21, the Kansas Jayhawks posted 100 points on the UC Davis Aggies at the BOK Center Friday night to move on to the Round of 32.

The KU starting five all posted double-digit point totals, led by National Player of the Year candidate Frank Mason’s game high 22. Thursday night’s game also doubled as a real-time highlight reel, with athletic moves and powerful dunks, but Mason said a different aspect allows the Jayhawks to score at will.

“You know it showed tonight if we defend and get out and run and get easy baskets, we can be really special,” Mason said.

In his NCAA Tournament debut, freshman guard Josh Jackson felt the nerves before the start of the game in which he scored 17 points on a 8-12 night from the field.

“A couple hours before the game, I just had to talk to myself a little bit and try not to be too nervous and remember that it’s just a game and just to come out and play,” Jackson said.

Friday was also Jackson’s first game since his one-game suspension in the Big 12 Championship.

“I wouldn’t say I owed the team, but I definitely feel like I needed to come out and get us all back together and get us used to playing Kansas basketball like we have been all year,” Jackson said.

Kansas moves on to the Round of 32 to play the winner of Miami-Michigan State on Sunday.

Top