You are here
Home > Blog > Dwight Coleby Comes Off Bench to Help Kansas Reach Sweet 16

Dwight Coleby Comes Off Bench to Help Kansas Reach Sweet 16

In a game where Kansas needed help from someone off the bench, junior forward Dwight Coleby checked in to help put the Jayhawks ahead of the Michigan State Spartans in the Round of 32 in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

It was a night the Jayhawk’s reserves contributed only 10 points. And while Coleby made his only shot of the game, 4 rebounds toward the end of regulation helped extend KU’s lead over MSU.

“I’ve just been waiting for this moment the whole season and it’s finally here, so I have to do what I have to do,” Coleby said.

With several minutes left in regulation, Coleby secured a one-handed rebound during a KU possession that later found its way to Devonte’ Graham. The junior guard nailed a three to extended the Jayhawk’s lead, putting away the Spartans.

“We told him he was the MVP of the game,” Graham said. “He got, I think, two big offensive rebounds and his ball screen defense and his defense on [MSU’s Nick Ward], getting a couple blocks, getting a couple rebounds and a steal was huge.”

Two players in Coleby and MSU’s Lourawls “Tum Tum” Nairn Jr. drew an audience to the Round of 32 game from outside the United States.

“I know everybody back home in the Bahamas was watching because Tum was playing, I was playing, so they wanted to see the Bahamian matchup and who was going to win,” Coleby said. “I’ve got something to brag about.”

Coleby and the Jayhawks will travel back to the Sprint Center to play Purdue in the Sweet 16.

Top