You are here
Home > Blog > Discriminating GroupMe Message Sent by KU Student Circulating Online

Discriminating GroupMe Message Sent by KU Student Circulating Online

A discriminatory message written by a University of Kansas student is circulating on Facebook after it was posted to social media earlier this week.

KU student Connor Lucas messaged a select group of people on the messaging app GroupMe with an invitation to a “private party” at the Cave night club in Lawrence. Lucas wrote the event was only for the “right” people with implications of discrimination. He went on to write, “By ‘right’ people I mean not black city.”

Lucas apologized on his personal Facebook, saying, “I just want to clarify that what I meant by ‘black city’ was not having people too drunk at the event and acting like idiots getting too drunk. … I absolutely should have put that. Complete [wrong] choice of words.” The page has since been deleted.

An unnamed source from the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity, commonly known as FIJI, said Lucas was once a member of the house. KU chapter president Matt Johnson said Lucas is not affiliated with the fraternity.

KU Interfraternity Council President Nathan Lutz posted a statement Facebook about the issue.

“I’m extremely tired of having to defend the actions and words of my community on what seems like a somewhat consistent basis. For those of you who say that our culture and community is one of acceptance and attempts to include people from all backgrounds and ways of life, we need to start proving it,” Lutz said.

Top