You are here
Home > Blog > Lawrence Public School District Withholds Name of Resigning Teacher

Lawrence Public School District Withholds Name of Resigning Teacher

Lawrence Public Schools typically releases all names of employees who resign from their school district, however, for one employee, it’s different. This questionable decision made by the Lawrence School District leaves many wondering why one faculty member’s name was not publicly announced along with the other 300 resigning employees in 2016.

The district chose not to identify the employee whose resignation was accepted last week because of confidentiality concerns. Resignations, retirement, and terminations are all available to the public, so many wonder what makes this resignation a matter of confidentiality.

“The fact is that statutes protect the confidentiality of staff and students, and I can’t share that information,” executive director of human resources and legal services for the district David Cunningham said. “Sometimes that puts me at a disadvantage, it leaves people wondering ‘what exactly happened here?’ But I can’t overcome that challenge simply because I’m a public entity. I’m still bound by confidentiality rules.”

It’s unsure whether the unnamed resigning teacher is also the teacher at South Middle School who has been under investigation this semester for allegedly making racist remarks in class. This employee also filed for resignation at the end of the school year.

Top