You are here
Home > Blog > Josh Jackson Shows Out in Opening Round of CBE Classic

Josh Jackson Shows Out in Opening Round of CBE Classic

The Kansas Jayhawks claimed the evening game of the CBE Hall of Fame Classic in Kansas City over the University of Alabama-Birmingham Blazers by a score of 83-63.

KU head coach Bill Self’s squad overwhelmed UAB at the Sprint Center through several phases of the game. One of those ways came by way of a 17-0 run that opened the game.

“Yeah we defended really well, it shows you how we can defend when we’re energized and fresh there to start the game,” Self said.

Another advantage KU had was its freshman standout Josh Jackson who shot 8-15 for a career and game-high 22 points. Jackson contributed throughout the night, playing 33 minutes where he displayed his ability to make plays in transition.

The 6’8″, 207 lbs. guard showed how aggressive he can get to the basket several times in the night, which brought fans in the Sprint Center to their feet. Most notably, a dunk that came in the second-half where the freshman powered over a UAB defender with a tomahawk slam. Jackson’s teammates hounded him after the transition basket.

“Well, I’ve heard Russell Westbrook say, ‘I dunk the ball so hard so nobody challenges me when I go to the basket,’ so that’s what I’m trying to do,” Jackson said.

After the win, Devonte’ Graham chimed in with his thought on the play. “SC Top 10,” Graham said.

The Jayhawks never trailed in the game. They move on to play the Georgia Bulldogs in the championship game set for tomorrow night in Kansas City.

Top