You are here
Home > Blog > Jayhawks Unable to Close in 4th Quarter Against Cyclones

Jayhawks Unable to Close in 4th Quarter Against Cyclones

Two Big 12 teams looking for their first conference victory clashed at Memorial Stadium on Saturday in Lawrence, Kan.

The Kansas Jayhawks lead the Iowa St. Cyclones through the first three quarters of the game. But in the fourth, KU lost senior running back Ke’aun Kinner due to a bruised rib, along with their lead over ISU.

The Cyclones left Lawrence with a 31-24 win, which earns the team a 1-6 conference record in the Big 12.

“Obviously, we are all very very disappointed because we felt like we had a chance to win that one,” Kansas head coach David Beaty said. “You know, if there’s a bright spot, I thought those running backs ran hard.”

Kinner ran for 152 yards on 18 carries, running in a 39-yard touchdown during the 3rd quarter.

“I feel like I had a good feel for their defense and what they did when we over played things,” Kinner said. “I saw a little crease and I hit it.”

Saturday’s workload for the 5’9”, 191 lbs. back took its toll in the final quarter of the game.

“We’re at that point in the season where you’re trying to keep them fresh,” Beaty said. “He got hit a few times late.”

The head coach went on to say the Kansas offense will continue to hand him the ball heading into the two final games of the season.

KU will host the Texas Longhorns next Saturday for their final home game of 2016. Kickoff is scheduled for either 11 a.m. or 2:30 p.m.

Top