You are here
Home > Blog > Cozart and Gonzalez Show Out for Stale Offense

Cozart and Gonzalez Show Out for Stale Offense

The tandem of senior quarterback Montell Cozart and junior wide receiver LaQuvionte Gonzalez helped move the Kansas offense in the annual Spring Game at Memorial Stadium.

Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 7.43.51 PMCozart came into the scrimmage as the number 1 QB and completed 10 of 19 throws on the day for 137 yards. One pass traveled 61 yards to Gonzalez which ended with the junior reaching the endzone for the first-team offense. Quv, a nickname given by his teammates and coaches, finished with six catches for 115 yards. “I gave you all that I’ve got,” the transfer receiver from Texas A&M said, “I made some plays out there so that’s what you’ll be seeing all year”

“We knew what type of player he was when we got him,”  Cozart said about his go-to guy. “So it was just fun to see him get out there, make guys miss, and we got to see his speed.”

However, the senior quarterback got into trouble throwing three interceptions during the scrimmage. “I didn’t play as well as I wanted to of course. I tried to force the ball a little bit and get the ball into our playmakers’ hands.”

Ryan Willis finished the season as the starting man under center for Kansas last season, but did not compete in the scrimmage. Cozart took most of the snaps for the day and reflected on his performance after the game. “I feel like as the day progressed I got a little better and bounced back. The guys around me helped me do that as well.”

KU football has two more practices this week before the spring session comes to a close. First official game for the Jayhawks is Saturday September, 3rd.

Top