You are here
Home > Blog > Teen Vaping Leads to Teen Smoking

Teen Vaping Leads to Teen Smoking

Lawrence resident, Bret Ivy, started smoking cigarettes as a teenager, until he decided ‘enough was enough.’

“I had been smoking about half a pack a day for about four or five years,” said Ivy. “I was still in high school so it was just kind of a cool thing to do I guess.”

Ivy quit smoking cigarettes on January 1, 2015 and transitioned to smoking e-cigarettes.

“I guess that transition period between smoking and e-cigs the one thing I always noticed about cigarettes is that I was always hacking up different stuff, I always had trouble breathing.”

However, a new study by the Los Angeles Times says that teens that said they used vaping devices were far more likely than their peers to try regular cigarettes over the next year.

Health professional, Kelsey Fortin, says that little is known about the long-term effects of e-cigarettes and that they’re not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

In November, Kansas City, Missouri changed the legal age for tobacco purchase from 18 to 21. Hawaii was the first state to change the age for tobacco sales.

Top